Goalkeeping Key Learning
4 core goalkeeping skills (Preparing, Moving, Dealing, Distributing)
- Set position
- General handling techniques – all heights
- Shot stopping (decision making, techniques of catching and deflecting)
- Narrowing the angle (into line and down the line)
- Diving techniques (collapsing save, introduction to power saves)
- Basic practices to improve reactions
- Dealing with crosses
- Thrown or chipped serve
CREATE YOUR OWN
Based off your experience in running these activities, we encourage that you create your own Goalkeeping Activities. Remember:
- Make the activities FUN and engaging
- Allow players to discover one's (im)possibilities through trial and error. “Who wants to be a goalkeeper?”
- Emphasis on goalkeeper training that includes PDE (Perception-Decision-Execution)
- Providing the necessary technical ‘tools’ to be able to play the game on the highest possible level
Goalkeeping is about learning how to apply the 4 core goalkeeping skills (Preparing, Moving, Dealing, Distributing) in a functional way which is primarily done through incorporating the Perception-Decision-Execution process within your activities.
To assist you with this, we highly recommend that you undertake a Football Australia Coach Education Course. Coaches at all levels play a crucial role in ensuring that football is an enjoyable experience for everyone, as well as laying the foundation for the development of better players. As such, our Coach Education courses have been designed to support you in whatever role you have whether it be in youth or senior football.
For Goalkeeping, we highly recommend that coaches undertake the Community Goalkeeping Certificate (Community Pathway) and/or the Football Australia Level 1 Goalkeeping Licence (Advanced Pathway) which will assist you in planning/preparing sessions and how you conduct and evaluate training. Click HERE for more information on our Football Australia Coach Education Courses and to find which course will be right for you, your own coaching journey and the players you are working with.